I am fairly new to python and Django.  I have no problem setting up my
own apps by following the tutorial.  However, I *always* have problems
setting up someone else's apps.  I think I've tried installing 5 apps
that I've downloaded from code.google.com and elsewhere, and have been
unsuccessful every time.

I think my problems in some cases have to do with not understanding
how paths work in Django.  The directory structure seems to be pretty
loose.  There don't seem to be conventions about where to put things,
at least none that are spelled out... unless there's some
documentation I'm missing (quite possible!).

I feel like I need some general primer on where to upload things.  For
example, I've been putting my own apps in a directory called
myproject.  I understand that I can call that directory whatever I
want as long as I referenced it the right way in the py files.  But I
would think that I would also put other downloaded apps in that same
directory... but I'm finding (I think) that when I install someone
else's app, it needs to go alongside that directory and not inside
that directory.

I'm hoping that someone reading this will be able to see what the gap
is in my knowledge... what is the concept I'm not understanding here?

Thanks,
Ryan