On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Roland van Laar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>> I am looking at expanding our training offerings for the coming year,
>> and a short course in Django looks like it might be popular. There
>> don't seem to be many Django classes at the moment, and several of the
>> students from our introductory Python classes expressed interest in
>> Django.
>>
>> Without wanting anyone on the list to do my work for me, it would be
>> useful to see some opinions about what to include. The tutorial gives
>> people a good start: should we assume that anyone who wants to take
>> the class has already run through that, or would it be better to start
>> from scratch?

I have successfully taught a one day workshop based on the Django
tutorial/from scratch. I wouldn't want people agonizing on their own
if they are going to take a class.  That's one main reason people take
classes, to save time and energy by having an expert guide them.

Even as I was teaching the tutorial  I found I needed to chop it up
because it was too long for total newbies.  I like teaching from the
tutorial because when people want to go back and learn they know
exactly where to go and can continue where they left off or dive in
deeper on specific areas they are interested in.

I've been wanting to do a screencast based on the tutorial or mainly
the part without the admin customizations.  Just the MVC (err, MTV)
concepts well done and completed using the poll app as the example,
similar to the tutorial.  And then a second screencast on the admin
contrib app.  This is enough to fill a one or two day workshop for
people completely new to Django.

The screencasts and official Django tutorial would be the learning
companions for the workshop/class. The class would allow people the
freedom to ask questions/share knowledge and stay focused while
getting loaded up with  condensed/organized information.

--
Milan