I'm also using Django 1.0 [1.0-final-SVN-unknown] and I was getting
Invalid block tag errors while using both:
 * {% comment_form %} and
 * {% free_comment_form %}

The solution that works for me is: {% render_comment_form %} with the
syntax:
 * {% render_comment_form for [object] %}
 * {% render_comment_form for [app].[model] [object_id] %}

(Solution via http://tinyurl.com/render-comment-form)

Hope it helps,
Marius