thank you very much. i am using version 1.0.2 right now.
i think i started with django at version 0.95. that time they used
__str__ (i just checked that in my local-copy-archive of the docs for
0.95/0.96) in the tutorial - and i kept that until now.

so with __unicode__ instead of __str__ it works the way i expected it.
thank you very much for your help!