What would be the best way to do it so when django updates
I don't have to rewrite my extension?   So that it might be reusable
by others?   Should I
checkout a version or can I use the 1.0.2 I have?

Don't know if I have the depth of understanding of django to do this
well, but I'm willing to try.
I would try to use the same fieldset syntax as is used in admin.py,
but it would be put in the
the Meta of the ModelForm.