You'll find the perfect way for you to approach each stage of it I'm
sure.

I'm always into figuring out Use Cases the very first thing.  I like
to establish at least 4 or 5 different major tasks that a user would
need/want to do, and then get these out of my head into a concrete
form  (currently this means the Treepad outliner in a "use case"
branch).

This first step naturally, without too much mental effort, steers me
models I will need to read/write in each of those screens.

So my first step is 1.) sketching what I need highlevel-wise,

2. ) Then deciding what those urls will be, going into urls.py to
write three or four mappings (for only read operation functions such
as getScores or whatever, i'll worry later about writing the write
operations when I start writing the html forms in the views )

3. ) And then start writing the models I know I will need. When I'm
finished with about 80% of the models I know I will need, I use the
Python shell to check things. When I'm satisfied that all of the
related tables give me the right result on the shell console by
manually running model.objects.all(), etc.., the next step

4. ) I go into views.py and write three or four functions that do some
reading

5.) Then the views - write the tags for retrieving database results.

.. and then I view a Djangocon speaker on youtube and realize how much
I have to learn when it comes to performance, and all of the different
areas to look at:
      check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4UN4MkSyI

  Seriously, not that we will all have sites that demand that type of
bandwidth, but it is definitely educational.