On Thursday 15 Jan 2009 6:04:13 pm _Sebastian_ wrote:
> Could you elaborate on what you mean with 'then break them a bit for
> speed'?

well, 3 normal forms is the ideal - but we live in a real world. So after
normalising the database, it is often found that repeating a field, or adding
a field that can be calculated from existing fields in a table speeds up
things enormously without significantly compromising database integrity. So
we do it. It may not be necessary in a smaller database, but may be needed in
a bigger one.

--
regards
KG