DragonSlayre wrote:

> On Jan 25, 6:04 pm, Steve Holden <holden...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When you install something by running
>>
>>   python setup.py install
>>
>> it gets installed into the python that is used to run setup.py. It looks
>> like you had /usr/local/bin on your path when you installed django, but
>> not when you installed PIL and pysqlite2 (or maybe you just hadn't
>> installed Python 2.6 at that stage).
>>
>> Either way, one version of Python won't see packages installed in another.
>

> Yes, I think this is happening - very frustrating!  I just wanted to
> update python - Whenever I try install modules now though (e.g. sudo
> aptitude install python-imaging), it doesn't install them in the new
> folder  - why oh why....
>
> I just found this site
> http://jaredforsyth.com/content/install-python-26-ubuntu
> that explains how to have an automatic install - which I did,  but now
> my python path has got my other python 2.6 installation location. (I
> now have one under /usr/lib/ and another under /usr/local/lib)
>
> I've googled and googled and have not found out how you remove it
> properly (If I were to remove it, I'd just delete the whole folder)
>
> I don't know how to set my python path to point to the new python 2.6
> folder either.

Don't forget that you have to set not only your own path but also the
sudo path, to make sure that /usr/local/bin is in the same place
relative to /usr/bin in them both. If /usr/bin comes first then "python"
will mean python 2.5, otherwise 2.6.

> All in all, I'd rather just revert back to python 2.5.... problem is
> that I don't know how to do that either!!!

You'll need to remove not only /usr/local/lib/python2.6, but also the
appropriate binary files in /usr/local/bin. I believe those are the only
two places affected by a local install.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119