I am trying to write a model for which the data can be represented as
a simple array of a fixed number of one byte integers.  To use a
SQL database for that would be very much overkill.  I would simply use
a file where I can seek to the index position and read or write that
byte.

While this in itself is not that hard to do I am wondering about how
to implement a model that integrates well into django (provides all
methods and attributes that are expected by other parts of django) but
does not use the database as backend but some other data source
instead.

Somehow I did not find a complete interface documentation for
models.Model and about the internal workings of django.  I didn't go
to the last resort (Read the Source!), yet.

What is the best way to approach something like that?

Matthias