You're on the right track. As the docs state, you can then override
the site-wide setting:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/sessions/#browser-length-sessions-vs-persistent-sessions

Steve's comment about requiring a "huge session store" is not really
too much of an issue. It's your responsibility to keep the session
table clean:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/sessions/#clearing-the-session-table