On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 21:49 -0800, xankya wrote:
> hi,
>    i need to do the following kind of template logic. can i achieve
> this using built in tags or i need to create custom tags?
>
> {% if user in voter_list %}
>      You have already voted.
> {% else %}
> {% endif %}

You can't do this with any of the builtins. At least not that I can
figure out.

I would probably create a filter that acts on the list and takes "user"
as the argument and returns true or false, depending on whether the
argument is in the list. Then you can use that filter inside the
existing "if" template tag. Suppose the filter is called "contains", you
could write:

        {% if voter_list|contains:user %}
        {% endif %}

This might be a little easier than writing a full-on block-based
template tag. It also reads fairly naturally, to my eye.

Regards,
Malcolm