On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:41 AM, john <johnhitz...@msn.com> wrote:

> I am trying to follow the Django | Writing your first Django ap part 1
> tutorial.  When I get to the python manage.py syncdb command I get the
> following:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> [snip]
>    raise ImproperlyConfigured, "Please fill out DATABASE_NAME in the
> settings module before using the database."
> django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Please fill out
> DATABASE_NAME in the settings module before using the database.
>

> Here is how my settings. py file is settup.
>
> ADMINS = (
>    # ('Your Name', 'your_em...@domain.com'),
> )
>
> MANAGERS = ADMINS
>
> DATABASE_ENGINE = 'sqlite3'           # 'postgresql_psycopg2',
> 'postgresql', 'mysql', 'sqlite3' or 'oracle'.
> DATABASE_NAME = ''             # Or path to database file if using
> sqlite3.

You need to decide on a name and fill on in here.  (Note the comments don't
say "Not used with sqlite3" for this one, as they do for the following
ones.  The DATABASE_NAME is required for sqlite3.

> DATABASE_USER = ''             # Not used with sqlite3.
> DATABASE_PASSWORD = ''         # Not used with sqlite3.
> DATABASE_HOST = ''             # Set to empty string for localhost.
> Not used with sqlite3.
> DATABASE_PORT = ''             # Set to empty string for default. Not
> used with sqlite3.
>
> [snip]

> My understanding is, that because I am using sqlite it will
> automatically create a database file when I run the syncdb command.  I
> had a slightly different experience with Turbogears.

Yes, it will be created automatically.  So if the file you specify in
DATABASE_NAME does not exist, it will be created.  You still have to specify
a name for it, though, as described here:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/tutorial01/#database-setup

Karen