On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:23 PM, marco sedda wrote:

> Hi,
>   I want to select a "single" field from a table, i've read the
> QuerySet API reference but i can't find anything to solve my query.
>
> Just to explain:
>
> If i've a table like:
>
> User
>   first_name = models.CharField(max_length=30)
>   last_name = models.CharField(max_length=30)
>
> how i can execute a sql query "SELECT first_name FROM User" with
> QuerySet API?

You want the values() queryset call
(http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/querysets/#values-fields
). Your query would probably look like
User.objects.values('first_name'), or if you wanted a plain list
(values usually returns a dictionary), you can use values_list() with
the 'flat' parameter.

Hope that helps,
Eric