> you could do it manually. first use os.rename to rename the file on the disk,
> and then update your model instance with the new name and save it.

I think this is what I'm missing.  What's the code for this?  Can I
just do:

        os.rename(model.file1.name, new_filename)
        model.file1.name = new_filename
        model.save()

Is that enough?  I'll go try that now.  The problem is that the
documentation leaves it unclear whether simply changing the name and
saving the model is kosher.  I guess I'd expect a more complicated
method, but if that works then great.