Use an additional file such "properties.py" or "local_settings.py" and
put the credentials an other programmer specific information there and
import that file on settings.py overriding the values o using:

import properties

VALUE=getattr(properties, 'value', default_value)

properties.py hasn't to be in the public repo, jus put a
properties.py.template with example values, and let each developer to
make his own copy with their values.

2010/3/28 Mike Dewhirst <mi...@dewhirst.com.au>:
> On 29/03/2010 7:50am, Guillermo wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on a project with multiple programmers for the first time,
>> and I'm not sure how I should go about commiting the Django project's
>> setting file to the public repo. Since it can contain sensitive data,
>> how's this done usually so everybody works with the same settings
>> during development?
>
> Guillermo
>
> I write a little fetcher method which runs inside settings.py so I don't
> have to put credentials in the repository.
>
> I keep all credentials in separate files in a credsdir and call
> settings.getcreds() for anything I need inside Django. credsdir still needs
> to be invisible in the filesystem to every user except the http server -
> chmod 700. If something was seriously sensitive you could use SSL/TLS and
> get your credentials from a secure server.
>
> credsdir = '/srv/www/' + APP + /creds/'
> creds =credsdir + APP +'.cred'
> def getcreds(fname=creds):
>    #The first line of creds is user, next is password
>    fh = open(fname,'r')
>    cred = [fh.readline().strip(), fh.readline().strip()]
>    fh.close()
>    return cred
>
> You choose your location according to location of your devs.
>
> Mike
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Guillermo

Antoni Aloy López