I decided I may have installed over a point release.  I removed both RPMs and
reinstalled and have the same issue.

To answer your question:
Postfix is running as postfix:postfix

[r...@relay1 keys]# id postfix
uid=89(postfix) gid=89(postfix) groups=89(postfix),12(mail)

dkim-milter is running as dkim-milter

[r...@relay1 keys]# id dkim-milter
uid=102(dkim-milter) gid=104(dkim-milter) groups=104(dkim-milter)

I also checked the running processes to confirm.

Todd, I will have a go at running as postfix again, and put the socket
somewhere else.

dkim-milter is running like this, (I'm just pasting the relievant part of the
running process):
 -p local:/var/run/dkim-milter/dkim-milter.sock

[r...@relay1 keys]# grep Socket /etc/mail/dkim-milter/dkim-filter.conf
##  Socket socketspec
# Socket inet:p...@localhost
Socket inet:20...@localhost

Does the local part need to be something else? i.e. unix?

thanks,
James