Up until now I have the following in my /etc/dnsmasq.conf:-

    resolv-file=/run/NetworkManager/no-stub-resolv.conf

This means that dnsmasq uses the upstream DNS that Network Manager
configures.  When I'm on the local LAN this resolves to 'my' DNS
server at 192.168.1.2, when I'm connected somewhere else Network
Manager sorts things out accordingly and dnsmasq gets the right
upstream DNS server.

However the latest Ubuntu update has tightened the permissions on
/etc/NetworkManager and dnsmasq can't read the file
/run/NetworkManager/no-stub-resolv.conf.

I know this is a slightly non-standard configuration but it has worked
very nicely for me for some years.  Can anyone suggest a way to fix
this?   Obviously /run/NetworkManager/no-stub-resolv.conf is created
at every boot so the permissions will revert to 'too strict' every
time I start the system.

--
Chris Green