On 28.02.24 11:29, Robert Sharp wrote:
Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get DHCPv6 to work, which I believe I
need in order to be able to look up hosts using DNS.

It's quite possible you would not need DHCPv6 at all.

The DNS protocol is oblivious to the way it gets transported:
A DNS server will answer an IPv4 (A) or IPv6 (AAAA) hostname record as
requested, regardless whether a client connects via IPv4 or IPv6.

And the majority of IPv6 clients won't request an IPv6 address via
DHCPv6, but rather use SLAAC to construct their IPv6s themselves, only
using the IPv6 prefix as learned from your router. The favoured method
of a client would depend on a client's OS. Linux and MacOS could do
DHCPv6 or SLAAC early on, Windows first favoured DHCPv6, but supported
SLAAC since Win 10 or 8.1, and Android does and only ever did SLAAC
exclusively.

Are you running your dnsmasq on a router or a dedicated server?

As it's the router's job to advertise IPv6 configuration information
(like prefix or DNS servers), you probably only have to deal with
dnsmasq's IPv6 configuration if its running on a router.

Kind regards,

    Buck