apologies for this shameless plug. we've just launched our
institutional blog. =)

alecks

W H A T' S N E W @ www.pcij.org
4.April.2005

---------------[ Inside PCIJ: Stories behind our stories )------

A Window into PCIJ
posted by Sheila S. Coronel

WHEN the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism started life
in a borrowed office in Makati 16 years ago, the only equipment we had
was a second-hand electric typewriter and an old, clunky DOS-based
computer that occupied pride of place in our little room. We couldn't
even afford a fax machine, which was still a novelty in those days and
still quite costly. Besides, phone lines were so difficult to get, and
we were asked to pay a premium for them in what was then a thriving
black market for telephone connections. When we finally got a fax, it
was a huge Panasonic that was so excruciatingly slow, it was painful
to watch.

Read on at http://pcij.org/blog/