*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

----- Forwarded message: -----
>----------THE POLITICSONLINE CONVENTION SPECIAL----------
>
>The Newswire of Politics on the Internet
>A publication of PoliticsOnline ---
>Fundraising and Internet Tools for Politics
>http://www.PoliticsOnline.com
>For Monday, August 17, 2000

>QUOTES OF THE DAY
>
>White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart in an exclusive POL interview:
>
>“[I]n 1996, there was a lot of discussion about how important the media was in
>politics, and it frankly wasn’t that important. In the year 2000, people thought they
>were prepared, but they’re not prepared. It’s more pervasive than I think anyone in
>either party is ready to deal with. My guess is, by the next election, it’ll be as
>important as the traditional news operations of broadcast news and newspapers.”
>http://www.politicsonline.com/convention/polstory.asp?id=8
>

>>From the Los Angeles Times:
>ABC’s Sam Donaldson -- host of regular webcasts at ABC.com -- on the role of online
>journalism at future conventions:
>
>“You'll see Dan Rather, Tom Brokaw and [Peter] Jennings, if they're all still
>working, doing shows from Internet Alley [in 2004]...In 2008, no one will be doing
>conventional broadcasting over the air.”
>http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/elect2000/pres/demconven/lat_brian000816.htm

>ON POL THIS WEEKEND
>
>POLITICSONLINE’S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS:
>Phil Noble sat down with a who’s who of e-politics heavyweights at the Democratic
>National Convention.  Check out what AOL’s Kathleen deLaski, Voter.com’s Justin
>Dangle, White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart, and others had to say.
>http://www.politicsonline.com
>
>NETPULSE NOTES...
>NetPulse is taking a week off, but will be published next week.
>SCENES FROM INTERNET AVENUE
>
>DAY 4:  THE HYPE COMES TO AN END (FOR NOW)
>Within moments of AL Gore’s convention finale, Internet Avenue looked like a mall
>that had fallen out a favor.  Alas, high profile celebs and sustantive pols -- the
>Christie Brinkleys and Jesse Jacksons of the world -- once strutted past another,
>walking among the masses of computer geeks, entourages in tow.  Empty cubicles and
>packed boxes soon were soon all there was to be found lining the walls of the L.A.
>Convention Center, though.  ABC.com was the only solvent franchise still drawing
>crowds -- If only Cokie and Sam had been sporting those Gap-salesperson-headseats,
>the metaphor would be complete.
>
>LA INSIDER’S ‘PROTEST CAM’ SHOWS CONVENTION FROM ANOTHER VIEW
>C-Span’s streaming video just too boring?  Dems2000.com’s “Be Here 360” view just too
>much? The L.A. Insider’s got an antidote -- “Protest Cam.”  Through the site, users
>can access streaming video, not from a Staples Center skybox, but from the Chevron
>across the street.  See what the demonstration of the hour is live without having to
>get a hold of a sign of your own.
>http://www.lainsider.com/auto_docs/webcams.5.5/demcam.html

> [...]

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***