From:                   "Steven Clift" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date sent:              Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:27:38 -0500
Subject:                [ED2] Parties - E-Democracy 2000 Message for Candidates

Dear MN Political Parties,

This message was just sent to the 250 e-mail addresses we have for
candidates across the state.  We encourage you to pass this on to
your candidates with a strong encouragement that they register their
campaign e-mail and web site (we will take e-mail only) as soon as
possible.

In the spirit of promoting Minnesota as a world leader in online
politics we also encourage you to place the e-democracy icon and link
(or at least a link) on profile part of your site.  E-Democracy
provides the crucial non-partisan navigation path that help Minnesota
citizens get from site to site across our political spectrum.  Grab
the icon at:  http://www.e-democracy.org/2000

Again pass the message below on to your candidates and follow the
details about submitting press release to the MN-POLITICS-ANNOUNCE
list as well for your party.

Cheers,
Steven Clift
Minnesota E-Democracy

Below is a special tip sheet to help Minnesota candidates use the Internet
strategically this election.

Minnesota E-Democracy started in 1994 with the world's first election-
oriented web site.  We are excited about the 2000 election season and
Minnesota's active online politics scene.  Our non-profit, volunteer-
based, non-partisan mission is to improve participation in democracy in
Minnesota through the use of information networks.

If you have any questions or comments about this guide, please contact us
via e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Steven Clift
Board Chair
Minnesota E-Democracy

E-Democracy 2000 Candidate Tip Sheet
====================================

Table of Contents:

1. Candidate Web Site and E-mail Directory
2. Link your site to E-Democracy
3. Tell your supporters via e-mail you are listed
4. Use MN-POLITICS-ANNOUNCE and DISCUSS to raise your profile
5. FYI - Our Public Newsletter and Press Release

1. Candidate Web Site and E-mail Directory

The E-Democracy 2000 site now lists all known MN candidate web sites and
campaign e-mail addresses.  It includes state legislative candidates and
candidates for Congress:

     http://www.e-democracy.org/2000/

This is the most comprehensive directory of legislative candidate web
sites in the country.  More voters will find your site in the next month
from this directory than any other web site or print guide (except for
your own literature).

Make sure the other candidates in your party get their web sites online
and register both their campaign e-mail address and/or web site as soon as
possible for our next directory update.  The submission/update form is at
the web address above. Pass this message on to other candidates.

2. Link your site to E-Democracy
--------------------------------

If you provide links off your web site, please include a link to
E-Democracy.  We encourage you to link to our main page at:

     http://www.e-democracy.org

>From our <http://e-democracy.org/2000> page we have different icon sizes
(if you want an icon instead of a text-only link) you can choose for your
site. E-Democracy is strictly non-partisan and issue neutral.  We are a
site everyone across the political spectrum can link to and participate in
with trust and security.  Adding a link will show your visitors you are
part of something important and lead them to the best directory election
and political content in Minnesota.  See our Political Desktop for our non-
election political content highlight: http://e-democracy.org/desktop

3. Tell your supporters via e-mail you are listed

Sample text you can edit and forward to your supporters via e-mail:

The CANDIDATE NAME web site is now part the E-Democracy 2000 directory.
This non-partisan web site offers the most comprehensive collection of
election and political links in Minnesota.  Visit the site at:

     http://www.e-democracy.org

They also host the statewide MN-POLITICS political announcement
e-mail list and discussion list.  Consider joining those e-mail lists and
their local community discussions. Put in a good word for our important
campaign issues.

(Note: Our e-mail lists are NOT connected in anyway with the
MN-Politics.com web site.)

4. Use MN-POLITICS-ANNOUNCE and DISCUSS to raise your profile

* Announce

The MN-POLITICS-ANNOUNCE e-mail list is designed for announcements from
across the political spectrum in Minnesota.  We want your press releases
and other important campaign updates for our 530 subscribers.  This free
service reaches a Who's Who in Minnesota politics including a number of
journalists.  This is great chance for regional candidates to get some
statewide exposure.

Send your announcements, newsletters, and press releases in TEXT-ONLY
format (i.e. in the body of your message, don't attach word documents) to:

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To receive announcements, send a message to:

     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* Discuss

The MN-POLITICS-DISCUSS e-mail discussion list is a place to both
subscribe yourself and to encourage your core supporters to join and
participate in support of your candidacy.  This is an active discussion.
No member may post more than twice a day and you must sign your posts with
you full name and city.

To sign-up for the DISCUSS list do it from the web if you want to choose
the DIGEST version (better for monitoring:
http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/mn-politics-discuss

To sign-up for the REGULAR version (better for more active posting), send
an e-mail to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* Community Forums

Some day Minnesota E-Democracy would like to work with citizens in your
community to create their own "community issues forum."  As of today we
have four forums.

Visit the web page to join the appropriate forum:

  Duluth -      http://e-democracy.org/duluth
  Minneapolis - http://e-democracy.org/mpls-issues
  St. Paul -    http://www.e-democracy.org/stpaul
  Winona -      http://onlinedemocracy.winona.org

5. FYI - Our Public Newsletter and Press Release

    Minnesota E-Democracy - http://www.e-democracy.org
In body text, write:  unsubscribe mn-democracy
Or visit:  http://www.e-democracy.org/signoff/

                  - - - - - - - - -

1.  Minnesota Candidate Web Sites on a Stick

E-Democracy 2000 announces the Virtual State Fair with links to
hundreds of candidate web sites and e-mail address as well as other
election information resources:

     http://www.e-democracy.org/2000

New for the first time from E-Democracy, the most comprehensive
directory of state legislative candidate web sites in the history of
humankind. Jump straight to it at:

     http://www.e-democracy.org/2000/leg.html

Join the US Senate Citizens Debate on MN-POLITICS-DISCUSS to talk
election issues with over 400 other citizens by sending a blank
e-mail to:

     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Receive Minnesota political announcements including releases straight from
candidates (to our 530+ subscribers) unfiltered by the media by sending a
blank e-mail to:

     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                 - - - - - - - - -

2. Volunteer at the State Fair Thursday, Join E-Democracy for a Beer!

A. Volunteer for the candidate, party, cause, organization of your
choice that day.  Call them on the telephone to see if they need
help.  Find contact information from: http://e-democracy.org/2000 or
http://e-democracy.org/desktop

B. Join other wired volunteers starting at 6 p.m. at the open air
beer garden with the TVs by the giant slide.  Does anyone know what
it is called?  Near corner of Dan Patch and Nelson (we'll verify
this).

If you think you might join us, drop an e-mail to:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you are trying to find us the day of, call Steven Clift at
612-822-8667 (voice/cell) for any last minute festive details.

Volunteering at the state fair is a total blast! If you can't
volunteer Thursday, offer yourself up for other days and join us for
politics on a stick.

                 - - - - - - - - -

3.  Winona Online Democracy

We'll have more about this exciting development in a future release, but
for a preview of this new effort now, visit:

     http://onlinedemocracy.winona.org

Check out what they are building and bring together people in your
own community to build your own online public commons:

     http://www.e-democracy.org/do/commons.html

                 - - - - - - - - -

4. E-Democracy 2000 Press Release - Hot Air and Substance in One!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For information contact:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Steven Clift, 612-822-8667

Minnesota E-Democracy announces E-Democracy 2000 ...

             Candidate Web Sites on a Stick
Citizens Join E-Democracy 2000's Primary Virtual State Fair

             Minnesota Leader in Legislative
             Campaign Use of the Internet

Falcon Heights, MN - Monday August 28, 2000.  While
in-person campaigning at the Minnesota State Fair will
never be replaced, use of the Internet by Minnesota
candidates for public office is at an all time high.

E-Democracy 2000, an online partnership of major MN online
sites and civic organizations, opened the nation's most
comprehensive state-level directory of candidate web sites
today.  It includes the Minnesota State Legislative
candidates and campaigns for U.S. House and U.S. Senate.

Finding election information and candidate e-mail addresses
and web sites has never been easier.

Direct web access to E-Democracy 2000 is available from:

     http://e-democracy.org/2000

"From the convenience of our homes, on our own time,
Minnesotans have access to more election information now
than at any time in history," said Steven Clift, Board
Chair, Minnesota E-Democracy. "The Internet is now the
behind the scenes strategic life blood of the modern
campaign.  However we need more "e-citizens" who use the
public side of the Internet including political web sites
in order to improve elections."

** Some Numbers

Launched in 1994, Minnesotans continue to start their
online election information search from the reliable, non-
partisan Minnesota E-Democracy web site.  In 2000, a new
feature is the the state legislative directory which
includes around 300 candidate's with web sites or e-mail.
This directory will grow weekly.  Most Independence and
minor party candidates have an online presence and as of
today E-Democracy is aware of 141 Republican and 104
Democratic-Farmer-Labor state legislative candidates with
at least a campaign e-mail address or web site.  This is an
amazing increase from 1998 where only a handful of state
legislative candidates campaigned online.

** US Senate Citizens Online Debate

Minnesotans are invited to join the ongoing political
discussions on the Minnesota Politics Discuss forum to
discuss the candidates and issues that matter to them in
the upcoming primary.  To join, simply send an e-mail to:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Candidates and campaigns also share their views and
distribute their public announcements via E-Democracy's
statewide Minnesota politics e-mail announcement list.

For more information on the  E-Democracy 2000 partnership,
visit:

http://www.e-democracy.org/2000/partners.html

** About Minnesota E-Democracy

Minnesota E-Democracy is a non-partisan citizen-based
organization whose mission is to improve participation in
democracy in Minnesota through the use of information
networks.  It seeks to increase citizen participation in
elections and public discourse through the use of
information and communication technologies.

Minnesota E-Democracy was established in 1994 and created
the world's first election-oriented web site.   While we
sponsor election year online partnerships to promote
citizen access to election information and interaction, our
primary focus is the use of the Internet to improve citizen
participation and real world governance.

In 1995 it received 501.c3 nonprofit status from the IRS,
making contributions tax-deductible.  Minnesota E-Democracy
is entirely volunteer based and runs on donated information
infrastructure.

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***