*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

I would say about 20 percent of the online news sites that I cut and
paste parts of news stories seem to employ some HTML/browser feature
that does not allow easy cutting and pasting.  To get around this I
sometimes click on the "Edit Page" feature and active Netscape
Composer or review the page source and edit out the HTML by hand.

While I am careful not to send out the full text of copyrighted news
stories it seems that "fair use" rights no longer apply to situations
where web sites have opted to use HTML code that make selecting and
copying text difficult.  Am I wrong?  Will I go to jail for five
years if caught?  It seems odd to me that retyping five sentences by
hand is legal, while cutting and pasting through a backdoor method
could land you in jail for five years.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online Newswire

See:
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/1201/anticirc.html
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20001030S0006

>From the law:

Sec. 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems

`(a) VIOLATIONS REGARDING CIRCUMVENTION OF TECHNOLOGICAL MEASURES-
(1)(A) No person shall circumvent a technological measure that
effectively controls access to a work protected under this title. The
prohibition contained in the preceding sentence shall take effect at
the end of the 2-year period beginning on the date of the enactment
of this chapter.

- clip -

Sec. 1204.  Criminal offenses and penalties

 “(a) In General—Any person who violates section 1201 or 1202
willfully and for purposes of commercial advantage or private
financial gain—

   “(1) shall be fined not more than $500,000 or imprisoned for not
more than 5 years, or both, for the first offense; and

   “(2) shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned for not
more than 10 years, or both, for any subsequent offense.

 “(b) Limitation for Nonprofit Library, Archives, or Educational
Institution—Subsection (a) shall not apply to a nonprofit library,
archives, or educational institution.

 “(c) Statute of Limitations—No criminal proceeding shall be brought
under this section unless such proceeding is commenced within 5 years
after the cause of action
 arose.

^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***