*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

In December and January, DO-WIRE was relatively quiet because I was
working with a number of fellow E-Democracy volunteers to launch some new
and improved initiatives.

Take some time to check them out.  Each effort has volunteer or two behind
them and most often I am not directly involved.  In fact, if you'd like
volunteer check out our new list of ways to get involved
<http://www.e-democracy.org/volunteer.html>. :-)

Some highlights:

1. Session Topics - http://www.e-democracy.org/capitol/

Five new moderated e-mail lists for information exchange on top
legislative issues.  4 of the 5 are now open.  Be sure to visit the
message archives to get a sense of what we are doing here.  At least 1/3
of the subscribers to these lists are legislators or legislative or
government staff and many others are directly involved in the policy
debate.  These online spaces place open online interactivity in the middle
of real policy making.  They complement the in-person process and the news
cycle. They save the time it takes to be more informed and involved.
(Normal) Citizens will not waste their time participating if they think it
doesn't matter, so we build forums that strive to matter in the real
world.  When the legislative session is over I hope to shift them into
collaborative spaces for public policy information importing (i.e. the
sharing of useful policy materials online from external sources) to inform
policy development in Minnesota.

2. Minneapolis - http://www.e-democracy.org/mpls

Be sure the check out the detailed 2001 Mayoral and city council election
links page maintained by David Brauer, the list manager of the Minneapolis
Issues Forum.  This forum has become the number one public agenda setting
space in local Minneapolis politics.  If you are a researcher help prove
this theory right or wrong by doing some deep research.  Every city in
Minnesota, the world for that matter, should have on online public
commons.  Build one for your community. we'll help with advice and
lessons.  Check out the lessons from the Winona forum:
http://onlinedemocracy.winona.org/startup.html

3. St. Paul - http://www.e-democracy.org/stpaul

With an open race for Mayor this year, this forum is beginning to take
off.  It now has close to 200 members (Mpls is at 450) and with direct
links from the City Council's and Mayor's web pages it now has a virtual
connection to official governance.  Help me find other local issues e-mail
discussion forums (or web forums that seem to work) around world where the
local elected officials have a direct link. We are also working with the
local League of Women Voters of St. Paul and about 10 volunteers to craft
a online Candidate Conversation early in Mayoral election process.  It is
quite exciting to work from E-Democracy's six years of E-Debate experience
and my insights from the Web White & Blue's Rolling Cyber Debates to
create useful candidate online exchange. If you do online civic events
right, you can add a lot of new and valuable information to the election
environment.  We do these early in the process when there is still a
scarcity of information. That is when the Internet can make the most
difference.  Note: Our election 2001 efforts will be available from:
http://www.e-democracy.org/2001

4. E-Democracy Legislative Study Group -
 http://www.e-democracy.org/study

Let us Internet-enable representative democracy.  What laws on governance
in your city, state/province, or nation should be changed to take
advantage of the Internet era.  Should public meetings be announced online
for example?  Should this be required in law or something units of
government do voluntarily?  Should there be a public domain database of
all elected and appointed officials?  Etc..  Check out our message archive
for our growing exchange.  Of the 60 people on this list, about half are
legislative staff, executive branch staff, or legislators.  Members of the
group may independently draft legislation.  E-Democracy as a non-profit
may only educate on these issues and not lobby the legislature for
specific changes.

5. Pledge Drive - http://www.e-democracy.org/donate.html

Below is a public message sent to our 2500 address organizational e-mail
announcement list.  For the first time in six years we are seeking to
create some ongoing staff support for our volunteer-based organization and
perhaps seek planning grants to take on some national/international
aspects.  One step at a time.  I'll be back to DO-WIRE on this in the
future, but if you like the DO-WIRE e-mail list consider the needs of E-
Democracy below. As a Minnesota-based non-profit we have limits on seeking
charitable donations out of state, so the post below is for informational
purposes.

I am told the last bit of the message below is the most powerful.  Read
on.

Steven Clift
Board Chair, Minnesota E-Democracy
Democracies Online Newswire