Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:19:31 -0500
From: Republican Party of Iowa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Democrat Party's Senior Scare Campaign Exposed

This is the Wednesday Iowa GOP Update, an E-publication of the Republican
Party of Iowa. Chuck Larson Jr., Chairman.

Democrat Party's Senior Scare Campaign Exposed

Internal E-Mail Shows High-Level Democrat Staffers Producing,
Approving "Not Entirely Factually Accurate" Senior Scare Propaganda

(Released by the NRCC)

Washington - Republicans today made public an incriminating internal
Democrat document on Social Security, raising serious new ethical questions
about the way national Democrats are targeting senior citizens and near
retirees.  The document shows high-level Democrat staffers deliberately
employing false and deceptive scare tactics in an effort to make political
gains with voters on Social Security.

"We have said for months that national Democrats are engaged in a cynical
and deceptive campaign to scare seniors on the issue of Social Security,"
commented National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Tom Davis
(R-VA).  "After reviewing this document, there is absolutely no question
that Democrats are knowingly and willfully using false and misleading
information to scare seniors about their Social Security.  This is a
smoking gun."

In late March, high-level staffers in the office of Appropriations
Committee member Marcy Kaptur (D-OH) composed an op-ed, presumably intended
for release to the public.  Republicans obtained a paper trail of these
staffers deliberating via e-mail on the accuracy of the op-ed, which, among
other things, falsely accused Republicans of favoring Social Security
"privatization."

"Does the rhetoric match the facts here?" wrote one staffer.

"[It is] not entirely factually accurate," replied another staffer.  "Talk
about scaring seniors - this may be a little over the top.  But it is sooo
fun to bash Republicans. :)"

The e-mail was obtained by Republicans after Kaptur aides mistakenly carbon
copied an unintended Republican recipient who shared the same last name
with another of Kaptur's aides.

"The language used in this draft op-ed is exactly the kind of language that
is routinely used by Democrats across the board to falsely accuse
Republicans of wanting to privatize Social Security," added Davis.  "This
e-mail shows that there is an entrenched culture among Democrats that takes
pleasure in preying on the fears of seniors with false and deceptive
misinformation for no other reason than to score political points."

Iowa Republicans Release Budget Plan for 2003
Protect Children, Taxpayers, and Good Paying Jobs

(News release from Legislative leaders)

(Des Moines) Republican legislative leaders today released their budget
plan for the fiscal year beginning July 1st, along with a comparison to an
alternative proposal made by Governor Tom Vilsack.  "Our budget proposal
balances the state's budget while protecting children, taxpayers and good
paying jobs," said Senate Majority Leader Stewart Iverson, Jr. (R-Dows).
"We plan on passing this plan on Tuesday, May 28, and the Governor should
sign it into law."

The Republican plan protects children by increasing spending on K-12
schools by nearly $35 million, despite falling state revenues.  The
Republican plan gives schools $59 million to increase general school
spending, while maintaining $40 million to raise teacher pay and $30
million to reduce class sizes and improve early childhood reading program.

While Governor Vilsack's budget proposal cuts spending on frontline child
protection workers by 4.5%, Republicans have opted for a smaller reduction
of 2.2%.  "Rather than jeopardize front-line child protection workers as
the Governor's plan does, we decided to eliminate some government programs
and make smaller cuts in the remaining parts of the budget," said House
Majority Leader Christopher Rants (R-Sioux City).  "We believe our plan is
more responsible that the Governor's across-the-board approach."

Rants also noted that the Republican plan protects efforts to improve
Iowa's air and water quality, while the Governor cuts those programs by
33%. For instance the Republican plan spends $2.6 million on water quality
monitoring stations, compared to $1.75 million in the Governor's plan.  "In
light of news reports of record nitrate levels in our rivers, we think now
would be a bad time to weaken our commitment to clean water," added Rants.

The Republican plan also protects taxpayers by eliminating twelve state
government programs, and suspending fifteen additional programs.
"Republicans want to prevent the possibility of a future tax increase,"
said House Speaker Brent Siegrist (R-Council Bluffs).  "In order to
accomplish that goal, we have to eliminate some government programs.  These are
programs that are worthwhile for government to operate when times are good,
but programs we can't afford when times get tough.  Our plan makes tough
choices, something that is necessary to protect taxpayers."

The GOP plan protects good paying jobs by rejecting a proposal by Governor
Vilsack to raid $60 million from the state's road building fund to cover
the budget shortfall.  According to statistics prepared by the Federal
Highway Administration, a cut of that magnitude to the road fund would cost
the state 2,526 good paying construction jobs, plus delay job creating
projects in communities that would benefit from better quality roads.
"Raiding the road fund will cost the state good paying jobs at a time when
we need to get our economy growing again," said Senate President Mary
Kramer.  "Our budget protects children and taxpayers and gets Iowa growing
again.  The Governor should support it."

Republicans announced plans to adopt several budget reforms during the
upcoming special session.  Included will be proposals to increase the size
of the state's cash reserve account, elimination of any state employee
positions that have gone unfilled for twelve months, and several proposals
to reduce skyrocketing Medicaid costs.  The legislation will also create
the Program Elimination Commission, charged with identifying additional
state programs to eliminate as well as assets which the state might
consider selling.  Unlike previous commission recommendations, the
legislature will have to vote on the proposal without amending it.

Paid for by the Republican Party of Iowa.

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***