*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Up to seven posts a week. To join over 2500 subscribers, ***
*** e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in message:  sub do-wire   ***

I too am concerned that without "democratic intent" the application
of online tools in democracy will not lead to better democracies.

It has been years since I have run into anyone claiming the Internet
is a "sliver bullet" for democracy.  To present a false
cyberoptimist approach and knock it down is too easy.  Instead we
need to challenge ourselves and say that for all the bad things the
Internet is/can do to our democracies/communities/forms of citizen
participation what are the positive online things we must develop and
invest in so we can at least preserve (hopefully enhance) our
democracies. More on this theme:
http://www.publicus.net/articles/future.html#E-Citizens

The jury is still out on whether the Internet as a whole and all its
uses will be good or bad for democracy.  I do believe that the
default may be negative unless more people, foundations, governments,
the media and others roll up their sleeves and ensure that the
demonstrated successful e-democracy practices are spread and
developed universally across all democracies.  I enjoy discovering
leading e-democracy examples.  The share their stories far and wide
with the hope and belief that others will take them up, build on
those successes, and lead to a virtuous circle of development all in
the name of improving not just our democracies, but also the lives of
people in the communities, nations, and world in which we live.

Should I believe this? Are we investing as we should? Are we moving
fast enough? Are we running out of time?  I don't know.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online
P.S. Thank you Frank Bannister for pointing out the story below.

From:
http://news.ft.com/comment/columnists/neweconomy

Direct:
http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/
StoryFT/FullStory&cid=1028186097523&p=1020498309075 - one line

Eli Noam: The web is bad for democracy

Published: August 28 2002 19:46 | Last Updated: August 28 2002 19:46

People may disagree on the impact of the internet on culture and the
economy, but they seem to be pretty unanimous when it comes to its
positive effects on democracy. But maybe this balloon, too, needs to
be pricked.

My scepticism about the internet as a democratic force is not based
on its uneven distribution. It is more systemic. Observers tend to
commit the error of composition, confusing the qualities of the parts
with the qualities of the whole. They think that if something is
helpful to an individual or group, it will also be helpful to society
at large when everybody uses it. The alleged time-saving properties
of the automobile are an example of this fallacy: does it really take
less time today to get to work than it used to?

Of course, the internet makes some political activity cheaper. But it
does so for everyone. Thus, any gains made by early adopters will
soon be matched by their rivals and will simply lead to an expensive
and mutually stalemating political arms race of investment in
customisation techniques and new media marketing technologies.

The early users of the internet experienced an increase in their
effectiveness, and messianically extrapolate this to society at
large. The gain was trumpeted as the empowerment of the individual
over Big Government and Big Business, but much of it has simply been
an temporary strengthening of individuals and groups with computer
and online skills (who usually have significantly above-average
income and education) and a relative weakening of those without such
resources. Government did not become more responsive due to the
online users; it just became more responsive to them.

The internet will lower the quality of political discourse

An increase in the quantity of information does not mean that its
average quality rises. On the contrary, as the internet leads to more
information clutter, messages will have to get louder in order to be
heard. Mainstream political information, therefore, will inevitably
become even more distorted, shrill and simplistic.

One of the effects of the internet is the elimination of the
intermediaries that stand between service providers and the consumer.
For politics, the decline of traditional news media and their
information screening would not necessarily be a good thing at all.
True, gatekeeping has negative aspects, too, but screening and
organising information also helps audiences. When information comes
unfiltered, it overwhelms and leads to the creation of rumour,
disinformation and last-minute political ambush.

Direct access to public officials will be bogus

Yes, anybody can fire off e-mail messages to public officials and
perhaps even get a reply, and this may provide an illusion of access.
But one limited resource will be even scarcer: the attention of those
officials. By necessity, only a few messages will get through. If
anything, the flood of messages will make the power-brokers that can
provide access more important than ever. Not to mention the fact that
apparent outpourings of public opinion can be mass-produced. Instead
of grass roots, technology can end up creating political astroturf.

The internet facilitates the international manipulation of domestic
politics

Cross-border interference in national politics becomes easier with
the internet. Why negotiate
with the US ambassador if one can target a key Congressional chairman
though an e-mail campaign,
chat group interventions, misinformation and untraceable donations?
People worry about computer
attacks by terrorists. They should also worry about state-sponsored
interference in other countries' politics through electronics.

... end of clip ...

Comment here:

http://forums.ft.com/2/OpenTopic
?a=tpc&s=646099322&f=890094803&m=3723092676&r=3723092676#3723092676
(put on online line)
^               ^               ^                ^
Steven L. Clift    -    W: http://www.publicus.net
Minneapolis    -   -   -     E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Minnesota  -   -   -   -   -    T: +1.612.822.8667
USA    -   -   -   -   -   -   -     ICQ: 13789183

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***