*** Democracies Online Newswire -  http://e-democracy.org/do ***
***                                                          ***
*** Join over 2650 subscribers, from 75 countries on DO-WIRE ***

Ugh.  I don't know about you, but the U.S. television coverage is
exhausting to watch.  My two televisions and web streams are keeping
me up-to-date, but not very well informed.

I find that Google News <http://news.google.com/> is the best way to
get a comparative sense of what the media is covering. A quick visit
to CNN or another major media site will let you know if anything major
has happened in the last few minutes.  My tour of English language
news sites <http://www.kidon.com/media-link/english.shtml> didn't turn
up much in terms of alternative English sources from the Middle East.
Al-Jazeeza <http://www.al-jazeera.net> will soon have an English
version <http://www.cursor.org/aljazeera.htm>.

So instead of digging around myself, I plan to add a blog or two to
my regular check-in as I reduce my television time dramatically.
Below is a collection of articles and blogs that I found that will
help me get more informed and less bogged down by the stream of
repetitive facts and images.

Steven Clift
http://www.publicus.net
Democracies Online Newswire
http://www.e-democracy.org/do

Best War Blogs
Arik Hesseldahl, 03.20.03, 4:15 PM ET
http://www.forbes.com/home/2003/03/20/cx_ah_0320warblogs.html

Here is their list:

1. Daily Kos: Political analysis and other daily rants on the state of
the nation
http://www.dailykos.com

2. Back to Iraq 2.0
Being a recounting of my journalistic adventures concerning Iraq
http://www.back-to-iraq.com

3. Tacitus
http://www.tacitus.org

4. Where is Raed? (From within Iraq)
http://dear_raed.blogspot.com/
For real? http://paulboutin.weblogger.com/2003/03/20

5. http://www.vodkapundit.com

Also:
March 20, 2003 / 4:00 PM ET
BLOGGING THE WAR
http://www.msnbc.com/news/809307.asp  (very good, found at end of
search)

The War on the Web
Sites to see on the road to Baghdad.
By Avi Zenilman
Updated Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 3:05 PM PT
http://slate.msn.com/id/2080407/

As Missiles Fly, So Do Web Messages
Thu March 20, 2003 05:10 PM ET
By Reshma Kapadia
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=focusIraqNews&storyID=2419289

Some additional analysis from Doc Searles, weblog leader:
http://doc.weblogs.com/2003/03/20

Others:
http://www.kevinsites.net - CNN reporter, N.Iraq (Mar 18 last update)
http://www.agonist.org
http://www.instapundit.com
http://www.warblogs.cc
http://www.warblogging.com
http://www.ribbityfrog.blogspot.com
http://www.defensetech.org
http://volokh.blogspot.com
http://www.blogsofwar.com (see left for other conservative sites)
http://www.realpolitik.us
http://uswarblog.tripod.com/warblog/
http://www.andrewsullivan.com
http://sf.indymedia.org
http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/2866547.stm - BBC's Blog
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weblog/
http://www.msnbc.com/news/856672.asp

As you'll note, most of opinion blogs are conservative expect for the
less blog-like Indymedia sites, while many of the protest sites I
shared <http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg00628.html>
the other week were anti-war sites.

More links:

Shows links from blogs that are popular:
http://blogdex.media.mit.edu

Some satire on war blogging competition:
http://warbloggerwatch.blogspot.com/

Progressive press releases:
http://commondreams.org/newswire.htm

*** Past Messages, Discussion http://e-democracy.org/do ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To UNSUBSCRIBE instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***
*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***