Brandon Youngdale wrote:
Hi,

My name is Brandon Youngdale and I just joined the volunteer documentation
team today. I love OpenOffice and I have appreciated it so much as I have
gone through my Bachelors and Masters degree in Writing that I wanted to
start giving back to the community however I could. I am so glad that I can
help even though I am not a programmer/engineer. I have 3 years of
experience editing, proofreading, and writing in various fields (both
business related and educational). I am excited to help and begin
contributing!

Thanks for the opportunity,

Hi Brandon;

Your experience will be a great help for the project!

The user documentation is being worked on the wiki, so you need to get an account. For more details, see this page http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html

The draft for the 4.0 user guide is growing here: http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide (there is a link to the "status page" at the end).

There are several missing pages and holes on the existing ones, but an easy start would be to proofread the existing pages and check the information for "accuracy". Note that this guide is aimed to AOO 4.0, so you need the latest version to check the guide.

Clearly, writing an user guide implies not only writing skills but also knowledge of the software: if you have any doubt about how Apache OpenOffice works, just ask!
So the "tasks" available are many, some of them already mentioned:
  ● Check spelling and grammar for existing pages (proofreading)
  ● Check if it is possible to reproduce what the  guide suggest, i.e.,
    if topics are clearly explained (accuracy and "understandability")
  ● Write new material It is also possible to add
  ● User Guide "design": to make the user guide more visually
    "appealing" to the readers.

We use this mailing list to discuss the changes. In general we can say that the approach is
  ● small changes like fixing typos and formatting errors: just do it!
  ● new material: just announce it! Both at the beginning of your work
    and when you are done.
  ● big changes like moving sections or rewriting existing material:
    discuss first on the list!

 Tester, editor or writer? You choose

Regards
Keith