Jon Harris wrote:
> Name : John P Abraham
>
> Address 6 Ashworth Close , Littleborough, UK
>

> Skills HTML/CSS some basic Java
> manual software testing.
>
> Add Info: I want to develop a skills  portfolio in technical writing and
> documentation.
>

> regards
>
> John

Greetings John;

Welcome to the Apache OpenOffice documentation list. I would first
direct you to the Orientation page at
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html. The level 1 and 2
pages will give you a basic insight into how an Open Source project at
Apache works and an overview of our infrastructure and how decisions are
made. Then the Level 3 page at
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html. Gives an
introduction to the Documentation team. Another highly suggested read is
the Contributors 101 page on our wiki at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Contribute. One piece of
advice from the wiki that bears repeating is as follows:
 "To participate, you need to be a "self-starter". We'll explain how to
use the website and the wiki, how to follow our processes, and so on,
but we don't hand out "assignments" or do much mentoring on the practice
and skills of technical writing. We'd love to teach you, but we just
don't have people with both the time and knowledge to do so. We'll tell
you in general what needs to be done, but it's up to you to choose what
to do and then do it.

This ailing list is the main communication vehicle for the team and it
is highly recommended that you subscribe to it so as not to miss any
discussion. You will find links and info to subscribe in the orientation
pages and the wiki.

Again welcome and when you are ready to delve in come back and we can
get you started.

Regards
Keith N. McKenna