Keith,

        This is how it works and this how it should work but was not explained
properly in guide.

From: Keith N. McKenna <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2016 7:36 PM
To: doc@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: Re: openoffice writer guide 2.0 (column)

sajjad sheikh wrote:

> sorry for using ur personal mail.
>

> but if this were the case as you wrote whats the point of using
> columns with even distribution as the text will flow across columns
> without regard to column space or ruling and one can even use a
> single column instead .
>

> And the first line of second column does move to first column as
> second line in my writer  :/

sajjad;

No problem the personal mail. You were not showing as subscribed to
the list from your first mail so I cc'd you as well as sending tot the list.

On further investigation with AOO 4.1.2 it appears that the evenly
spaced option does work as you you were asking about. As to why it does
I am not really sure.

Regards
Keith
> From: Keith N. McKenna <keith.mcke...@comcast.net> Sent: Friday,
> February 12, 2016 11:33:38 AM To: doc@openoffice.apache.org Subject:
> Re: openoffice writer guide 2.0 (column)
>
> sajjad sheikh wrote:
>> Basically i am asking is that after filling first line of second
>> column, won't that first line of second column move to first
>> column as its second line and writer will start filling first line
>> of second column again till both lines of second column are
>> filled?
>
> Sajjad;
>
> No. When the first line on the second column fills, text will flow
> to the second line of the first column then from there to the second
> line of the second column, ad infinitum.
>
> Also please ply only to the list and not to my personal account.
>
> Regards Keith
>

>> From: Keith N. McKenna <keith.mcke...@comcast.net> Sent: Thursday,
>> February 11, 2016 4:59 AM To: doc@openoffice.apache.org Subject:
>> Re: openoffice writer guide 2.0 (column)
>>
>> sajjad sheikh wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> can anybody please explain the explanation which is given in the
>>> writer guide about "equally distribute contents to all columns"
>>> in columns of section in which it states in distributing text
>>> evenly "the writer fills first lines of each column followed by
>>> second lines of each column and so on". this description is hell
>>> confusing.
>>>
>> Sajjad;
>>

>> The explanation is fairly simple. When the box to equally
>> distribute cont is checked it does just that. Rather than a
>> newspaper style column arrangement where text flows to fill the
>> first column then fills the second column, text flows between
>> columns such that when the first line of the first column is full
>> the text flows to the first line of the second column and so on.
>>
>> I hope the explanation is clear if not perhaps this link to the
>> new version 4 guide will help.
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Writer/Page#Columns_tab_2

Regards Keith