I haven't been closely following the details of the discussion on fonts,
arrows vs >, highlighting (italics, bold, etc), but I have some concerns to
note.

IMO the criterion should be: do the differences add GENUINE VALUE for the
user, so the changes are genuinely worth the time it takes for
writers/editors/reviewers to apply, check that they are applied correctly,
etc. "It looks good in PDF/print" is not, IMO, sufficient reason for doing
things, though it should be a positive side-effect.

"Keep it simple" has a lot to recommend it.

1) Time is saved in production, consistency of presentation is improved, and
writers can concentrate on content instead of appearance (applying character
styles).

2) Clean files can be output to a variety of media, including (but not
limited to) PDF, print, ePub, HTML, DAISY (Digital Accessible Information
System) talking books, braille. WE may not provide all those outputs, but
others may wish to use our files as source documents for them.

Hal