Hello Gary and Tom

Many people make the mistake about its and it's, even the English.

I have found over the years that it is always best to avoid the apostrophe
when writing. This makes it better when someone has to translate English
into another language.

For example:

It's - always write as "it is"
Can't - always write as "cannot"  (please note "cannot" is one word and
should not be written as "can not" - a quirk of the English language).
Don't - always write as "do not".

I think you get my drift. Using word contractions is part of conversation
and should never be written. That is how I was taught English language by my
Scottish English teacher many years ago in Yorkshire. You have to remember,
folk from Yorkshire are famous for missing t'odd word.

Regards

Peter