Le 26/08/2014 07:58, PeeWee a écrit :

Hi Peter,

> In my opinion, the user guides and Help are the starting point for any other
> documentation/information about using LibreOffice. So, anybody who works on
> other documentation should check the user guides and Help so that the
> information is the same across all documentation.
>
> When writing the Impress and Draw Guides, I did check the Help of each module
> to make sure that information was reasonably consistent. It is not perfect
> and could be improved.

The problem with relying on the built-in Help is that it is either
wrong, obsolete, or incomplete, especially where new features are
concerned.

Currently, writing help files for the built-in Help system is an utter
nightmare, and involves being knowledgable in, and having the time to,
wade through a vary unwieldy set of XML conventions. The end result is
that no one wants to edit the Help files to keep them up to date.
Additionally, we encounter the well known phenonemon of developer
reticence about explaining how to actually use the new feature for which
they've just coded. Getting developers to provide meaningful code
comments is hard enough, because each has their own view on how much any
given other developer should be capable of understanding. None, as far
as I know (and I'm prepared to stand corrected), other than those
working on the Help system itself, have ever written an XML help file
for the built-in Help system.

All of this makes it very hard to write accurate, up to date user
documentation, but the problem in itself isn't new, merely exacerbated
by the frenetic pace of development.

Alex