Dear Peter,

Thanks a lot for sharing your ideas and I am pretty sure we can use these ideas also in other languages. Maybe you have more tips you can share?

Many thanks
Best regards

Leo Moons
LibreOffice/nl

Op 27/03/2020 om 09:23 schreef Peter Schofield:
After going through the meeting notes (which I could not attend), I though that
it maybe a good idea to air my views about writing standards.

The following ideas come from my experience in working within Simplified
English rules when I worked for Airbus and Ericcson.

1. Paragraphs no more the six sentences long.
2. Sentences should only contain a maximum of 20 words, with the occasional
sentence allowed to be 25 words.
3. Never use the possessive apostrophe (for example Peter’s). Rewrite the
sentence to remove the need for a possessive apostrophe.
4. Never use contractions of words (for example: don’t becomes do not; won’t
becomes will not, and so on)
5. Never use Latin abbreviations (for example: etc becomes and so on; e.g.
becomes for example; i.e. becomes that is).

There are many more rules, but the above basic rules are a good start. They are
designed to make English text easier to translate into other languages and that
is why it is called Simplified English.

Please let me know your opinion.

Regards
Peter Schofield