Hi,

We sat on the ‘pub garden’ benches all evening and enjoyed the sun for a
long time as the playing fields meant no buildings cast an early shadow.

The Raspberry Pi 4 got several mentions.
https://blog.hackster.io/meet-the-new-raspberry-pi-4-model-b-9b4698c284
is a good review of the improvements.  Given they planned four silicon
revisions, A0, B0, C0, and C1, and they've released B0 because it
‘turned out to be production-ready’, I'll wait a month of two and see if
others find problems.  :-)  Especially as I'd want the 4 GiB version for
a desktop machine.

Talking of desktops, here's using two ‘4 K’ TVs, really UHDTV1, as
computer monitors, one of which is also the desk surface.
https://twitter.com/andrewculver/status/826948468803457024/

The four woods used by a player in bowls are no longer allowed to have
an internal weight for bias.  Instead, they must have a visible dimple
in the surface from a permitted range of sizes.

Peter M. and Patrick were asking about R.  It's a modern programming
language for statistics and data analysis, with many packages available
to re-use, and has some nice charting ability.  It's mostly a superset
of the S language from Bell Labs, them again, in 1976.
https://www.r-project.org/about.html

An article I recently read happens to use R to map the biased samples of
‘think of a number between 1 and 10’ from a large population to a data
set that provides an unbiased answer by solving a linear programming
problem using R.  Even if you just ‘look at the pictures’, the animation
neatly shows how the samples are mapped; search for ‘animate’ and it's
just below.  https://torvaney.github.io/projects/human-rng

Why the two-tone high-low train signal sounds to me like ‘Hitler’.
https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GMRT2484%20Iss%202.pdf says the
horns' frequencies are

    370 Hz ± 20 Hz
    311 Hz ± 20 Hz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_key_frequencies#List maps those near
enough to

    F♯4             369.9944
    D♯4             311.1270

and they are three semitones apart and a minor third.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Bogey_March#History says

    Supposedly, the tune was inspired by a military man and golfer who
    whistled a characteristic two-note phrase (a descending minor third
    interval) instead of shouting "Fore!"

--
Cheers, Ralph.

--
  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-08-06 20:00