Hello, I am new to the group and the Rotor.

I am evaluating .NET vs. Java for writing a network application.

Personally, I use Mac OS X and preffer Java, but the interested company is shifting
towards
.NET and Windows. Since the Rotor promises C# on the Mac OS X, hence I got interested.

Microsoft licensing aside for a moment; does anybody have any success writing C#
applications and moving the source-code across systems (Wintel, freeBSD Linux, Mac OS
X ),
just like Java?

Is Rotor a platform ready for the prime time, to just a toy (1.9 million lines for
that) for
academics to show cool compilers?

Is there current on-going development in the area. Are books on C# apply to Rotor?

Finally, does licensing totally prohibits comertial use of it, or there are some dues
that can be
paid to Microsoft for the use of it? I have Visual Studio .NET licenses.

Thank you in advance,

I have read dozens of pages on the subject, but I am still in the dark.

Respectfully,

Uki Dominque Lucas

This list is hosted by DevelopMentorŪ  http://www.develop.com
NEW! ASP.NET courses you may be interested in:

2 Days of ASP.NET, 29 Sept 2003, in Redmond
http://www.develop.com/courses/2daspdotnet

Guerrilla ASP.NET, 13 Oct 2003, in Boston
http://www.develop.com/courses/gaspdotnet