From: dotnet discussion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Steve Holak
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 1:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DOTNET] Deployment of a windows service

Blain ,

>From an article in one of last year's MSDN mags:

"The service class you create can't install itself, however. You must
also
supply an Installer class that inherits from
Configuration.Install.Installer. For each service in your project, this
class creates one ServiceProcessInstaller object (which knows how to
install the service with the SCM for you), and a ServiceInstaller
object.
The ServiceInstaller object writes information to your registry for you
as
needed for the installation?specifically, to a subkey under the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services key. (Working with
Installers would require an entire article, so it will not be the focus
here.)
Once you've created your service class with the appropriate
functionality
built in, you'll follow these steps to get it up and running:
1.   Compile your project to create an EXE.
2.   Use the InstallUtil program that's part of the .NET platform to
install your project (you should load it as a service).
3.   Use the Services applet from the Control Panel to start your
service.
By default, the project you created sets the start type to Manual.
4.   If you want to debug your service, now's the time to grab onto the
process containing your service, and step through the code looking for
problems.
This article covers each of these steps in some detail."

Here's the link to the full article:
     http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/12/NETServ/NETServ.asp

HTH

Steve Holak
Senior Software Architect

Brokerage Concepts IS Dept.
610-491-4879

email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    "Marsh, Drew"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    Sent by: dotnet           cc:

                    discussion                Subject:     Re: [DOTNET]
Deployment of a windows service
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    VELOP.COM>

                    05/09/2002 01:01

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    dotnet discussion

Blain Timberlake [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

> Has anyone done a deployment of a windows service in .net yet?
>
> From the help file it seems like I need to create a custom
> action for my package, but I'm just getting my feet wet in
> .net and not sure I know everything to do.
>
> To install the service from a .exe there is the installutil
> file that you run against it.
>
> I would ASSUME that you would need to use that again but as a
> custom action for the install package.  If that is the case,
> would you also be able to set/change the options of the
> service?  Who the service is being logged in as?  Startup options?
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.  Thanks.

This page[1] in the SDK was made just for you. ;)

HTH,
Drew

[1]
ms-help://MS.VSCC/MS.MSDNVS/vbcon/html/vbtskAddingInstallersToYourServic
eApp

lication.htm

You can read messages from the DOTNET archive, unsubscribe from DOTNET,
or
subscribe to other DevelopMentor lists at http://discuss.develop.com.