From: Murphy, James [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Freitag, 10. Mai 2002 17:06
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DOTNET] OT: Relational to Object mapping.

Ha - what a coincidence :)

I've been working on this very thing for a few days.  I'm starting with

*** Not enough time :-)

Scott Ambler's [1] very helpful whitepapers on Object - Relational
mapping
and mixing in dated but effective techniques from other techniques I've
seen:

My design goals are something like this:

1.  Automated persistence mechanism for .NET objects and relationships.

*** Good.

2.  Non-invasive to client classes.  You don't have to derive from some
PersistentObject or implement special interfaces.  Basically a
reflection
approach with help from custom attributes.

*** BZZZZ - wrong. You ARE invasive if you ask for custom attributes.
You will never be able to serialize private attributes "non-invasive".

3.  Fast and scalable

*** I object - NOT with reflection.

4.  Database neutral implementation

*** Ok.

5.  Automated schema generation based on object model.

*** Ok.

The implementation is going really smoothly so far due to the CLR's
metadata
facilities.  I have gotten to the point when objects save and retrieve
themselves.  Still plenty to go but perhaps opening this up to the
community
would be a good idea?

*** It might. I have an O/R mapper here ready for about half a year - it
was supposed to become a product but will probably never. We seriously
think of making it open source :-)

*** Thomas

Jim

[1] - http://www.ambysoft.com