John Hedges wrote:

but I can't get ithis to work. Dovecot starts but authorisation
fails. Is this kind of setup possible - is it possible to configure
different passwd-files for connections on different IPs, or am I going
to have to run separate instances of Dovecot for each virtual host?

There have been several fixes since 1.0rc15 which deals with multiple dovecots, auth socket accidental stomping, auth caches and things like that. I would suggest you upgrade to the latest 1.0.1 first and see if that has any impact on your problem.

$0.02 USD,
-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer