Charles Marcus wrote:
On 12/15/2008, Ed W (li...@wildgooses.com) wrote:
Thunderbird was able to do a mass select of one of the two messages,
and deleted 65,000, but after that it locked up.

I'd never try to delete that many at once...

It very likely wasn't locked up though, it probably was working
furiously to try to do what you told it to do - the problem is, it can
*appear* to be locked up, even for many minutes, but if you let it go,
it will eventually finish (or time out)...
Pine did it in2-3 minutes with one imapd instance; TBird was thrashing mightly for 20+ minutes with 4-8 imapd instances, and no progress in site....even after Pine had deleted the inbox down to 2000 messages.
But, if you ever try this again, it helps a LOT if you do a
'SHIFT-delete' (press/hold the shift key, then tap the Delete button on
the keyboard) - this bypasses the Trash - otherwise, it isn't deleting
them it is MOVING them to the Trash, which can take a long time for that
many messages.
Was not moving to Trash, just directly expunging stuff that had been marked for deletion
I usually work with a thousand or so at a time if I need to do something
like this, and it works, although it certainly isn't instantaneous...
With <sigh, I know, I know> a mbox format inbox, I don't know that it matters much whether it's 10 files or 10,000...it's still gotta haul out the whole ugly thing. We had a bad, bad user that got up to 1.3GB...and our server still handled it without undue distress. Must be some amazingly optimized file system I/O in the O/S (AIX)

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly, neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors. Now it's like an apartment in Bed-Stuy: you need three heavy duty pick-proof locks, one of those braces that goes from the lock to the floor, and bars on the windows.... ==== Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Bard College, New York 12504 sd...@bard.edu voice: 845-758-7475, fax: 845-758-7035