On Dec 23, 2008, at 4:51 AM, R A wrote:

Romer Ventura wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering is I could use MySQL as storage only..? Meaning that no user information, other than the obvious email address associated with an specific email so that each email can be showed to the right user, will be
stored in a MySQL database instead of /home/vmail/DOMAIN/<user>

   Would I get any advantages.? Would it be better, faster?

Thanks

I think IF it would be supported in a future version it would be a great
addition.

I did already start it once but didn't get it very well working. It's a very low priority for me to finish it. Maybe once everything else is done and I can't really think of anything better to do.. Of course anyone else is free to implement it. http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-November/026632.html

Especially if you try
to implement cloud-like services, where you have the possibility of
links temporarily going down between servers, and mail can come in to
any point, and be retrieved or moved at any point.

You really need transactions then, to track every mails change in time,
and to replicate those when you get connectivity back. You "can"
possibly do it by tracking dovecot logs and do the replication yourself
with scripts, but using a database would probably be easier here.

I've also planned easy replication support for Dovecot. Also I don't think doing the SQL replication correctly and without losing any data on error conditions is as easy as you think.