On May 14, 2009, at 2:17 PM, Stewart Dean wrote:

The only changes was that max_mail_processes went from 1024 to 1280. Now I get a error message when I start DC:

Warning: fd limit 2000 is lower than what Dovecot can use under full load (more than 2054). Either grow the limit or change login_max_processes_count and max_mail_processes settings

So I changed the no_size and no_size_hard to 3500 and 4000 respectively in both dovecot and root

AIX defines nosize:* *Sets the soft limit for the number of file descriptors a user process may have open at one time.

I found a way to recreate the problem on my side. Since I start dovecot from inetd, I must verify my shell has the proper ulimits then do stopsrc -s inetd;startsrc -s inetd to pick up the new ulimits. I didn't notice how you started dovecot. Maybe this helps.