I'm using pam to authenticate users against my krb5 realm. Here is the problem scenario:

User test2 attempts to login and their password is not expired so dovecot says:
0 login test2 myfavoritepassword
0 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH] Logged in
1 logout
* BYE Logging out
1 OK Logout completed.

User test1 attempts to login, but their password is expired. So dovecot says:
0 login test1 myfavoritepassword
0 NO d expired

User test2 attempts to login and their password is not expired. But dovecot still says:
0 login test2 myfavoritepassword
0 NO d expired

If I kill the pid with name "dovecot-auth -w", user test2 can login just fine unless I login with the user test1 before trying user test2. So it seems like something is getting cached. I'm running imap-login out of inetd, in case that matters.

In my dovecot.conf, I don't have any caching/authentication variables activated. I don't see anything obvious to type in passdb pam{ } to type.

For debug, I've enable pam for telnet and tested that without error. Also, the logs show that test2

This is dovecot revision 9062:694714d59cd9 . Looking at the logs, I see user test2 authenticate correctly in all instances.

thanks,
Jonathan