On Jun 17, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Michael Durket wrote:

We're converting UW-IMAP users here to dovecot. Some of them have seen the error message issued when Thunderbird clients try to delete folders and I understand what's going on (from previous postings) that Dovecot doesn't support mbox subfolders within folders.

Hi Michael,
I'm running dovecot 1.2beta5. I'm not sure which version does not support folders with subfolders, but 1.2x does. Here are some imap commands to prove it works.

2 list "mail" *
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "mail"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/folder1"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/folder2"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/Trash"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "mail/anotherfolder"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/anotherfolder/mbox1"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/foo2"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/foo3"
2 OK List completed.
3 list "mail/anotherfolder" *
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "mail/anotherfolder"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/anotherfolder/mbox1"
3 OK List completed.
4 delete mail/anotherfolder/mbox1
4 OK Delete completed.
5 delete mail/anotherfolder
5 OK Delete completed.
6 create mail/anotherfolder/
6 OK Create completed.
7 create mail/anotherfolder/mbox2
7 OK Create completed.
8 list "mail/anotherfolder" *
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "/" "mail/anotherfolder"
* LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" "mail/anotherfolder/mbox2"
8 OK List completed.

Now there is config setting in dovecot.conf called tb-extra-mailbox- sep. Maybe that is what the complaint is. Tbird will put the delimiter on the back end of the delete command(delete mail/anotherfolder/).

What puzzles me is that many of these users already have folders within folders (I've found typically 2 levels of nested folders within their main Mail directory). And they're not complaining that they can't read the messages in those folders. If UW-IMAP supposedly never supported this for mbox format, and Dovecot doesn't support it, how is this possible under Dovecot?
(We don't have any maildir format mailboxes here at all).

I have an older version of Uwash in use(2006k?) and folders with subfolders works. Maybe you are talking about folders that have messages and subfolders?

-Jonathan