I am looking to migrate my DC V1.2 from mbox to maildir format....and want to do this in stages, user group by user group rather than in one horrendous fell swoop....since I'd rather fell things didn't happen.

Since I'm running sendmail/procmail, I can change the ~/.procmailrc to change the writing of the INBOX, but the IMAP mail location access info is knottier when one wants to do things a bit at a time. Setting aside for now the matter of converting existing folders, I will be moving: = from a mbox setup with the INBOX in /var/spool/mail/<userid> and the folders in ~/mail
= to both in ~/Maildir (unless someone has better ideas)
It seems that one could:
1) Change the namespaces in the client...but this is not feasible, because it would means going out to all my 4000+ users desktop and modifying them. 2) Having some sort of db to tell DC it a mail_userdb extra field and override the mail_location in dovecot.conf
3) Perhaps waiting for DC v2.0 which will have this architected in.

A) Is there any sense the v2.0 will be coming Real Soon Now and will fulfill #3? B) What's the simplest way to implement #2? I would really rather not install MySQL on my mail server and have all the overhead of installing and managing it when all I need it for is a temporary resource to tell DC where things are until the switchover is complete and Maildir is the default. Is it feasible to do this with an additional flat file in the /etc/passwd mode with some extra fields tacked on that is *only* used for mail location info? Or some other and simple way?

My apologies if this is a Stupid Question.............

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly, neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors. Now it's like an apartment in Bed-Stuy: you need three heavy duty pick-proof locks, one of those braces that goes from the lock to the floor, and bars on the windows.... ==== Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Bard College, New York 12504 sd...@bard.edu voice: 845-758-7475, fax: 845-758-7035