>Am 27.03.24 um 18:49 schrieb Michael Grant via dovecot:
 >>I could really use some help debugging issue.
 >
 >Timo gave some debugging tips in a similar case cf.
 >https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2023-March/126229.html
 >
 >In case you know how to use gdb, that should work and might get a reproducer
so this error can be mended for everybody.

 This was helpful thanks.  I do know how to use gdb, but hoping it won't
 come to this.  I was thinking of how to do that anyway.  There must be
 way to start dovecot (in gdb) so it does not fork and runs on a
 non-standard port so I could configure the imap client to contact it on,
 for example, port 1993.  If someone knows how to do that, let me know.

gdb /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
r -u username

I tried what you said above. It seems to start IMAP running on stdin connected to my username.

It's not clear to me how to debug this like that.  Any recommendation?

In the client, I can easily set a different port like 1993. What I was imagining was to start dovecot (or imap?) in gdb then connect with the client, authenticate as myself, let it sync up it's folders, and then watch the crash and poke around and try to print out the message and folder.

Would it be easy for you to maybe print out the message and folder in the assertion that is failing? Maybe this is easier for me to recompile dovecot with that instead of trying to get into debug in the correct child and all?