I have a mailing server setup based on Debian Stable that uses postfix
(v3.7.10) for SMTP and dovecot (v2.3.19.1 (9b53102964)) for IMAP. I now wanted
to set dovecot to not write to syslog, but to dedicated files in
/var/log/dovecot. While everything indicates that this happens successfully as
the log files gain in size, I also get lots of these errors:

   May 13 20:55:37 mail postfix/local[2824184]: 95BCF1000A9:
to=<u...@domain.de>, relay=local, delay=3.2, delays=1.9/0.29/0/1.1, dsn=4.3.0,
status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: lda(user): Error:
net_connect_unix(/run/dovecot/stats-writer) failed: Permission denied Can't open log
file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied )

If it would only log the complaints I wouldn't worry, but as long as I don't
revert the changes in dovecot's config, mail receiving is at least vastly
delayed, most likely stuck alltogether. So how am I supposed to set these
settings?

I've chainged these settings in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf:

   log_path = /var/log/dovecot/error.log
   debug_log_path = /var/log/dovecot/debug.log
   log_debug = category=error

The whole directory /var/log/dovecot is owned by dovecot:dovecot, permissions
on debug.log, error.log and info.log are 644.

Best

Richard