Finally got to this! They both work great, thanks,

Tom.

Shawn K. Hall wrote:
Hi Tom,

Now when I run the whois search one has to enter a 4
digit security code. No way of getting around this I
think :-(

Not directly, but there are other whois sources. Like "whsc". Try this:
  whsc 12pointdesign.com

The other one you can use is "whi" (WebHosting.info). I can't remember
offhand if I published this one yet (I like to test them a while first,
then forget):
  whi 12pointdesign.com

I like "whi" because it also provides a very large database of domain-IP
reverse lookups:
  whi google.com
  whi 64.233.167.99

-Shawn