"Mike Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
You cant' kill the good stuff!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Sharp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "drakelist" <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 1:21 AM
Subject: [drakelist] Looking for R-4 faceplate

Jerry Sharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Hi all, I'm looking for a replacement faceplate for a Drake R-4. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I'd like to fine one that doesn't have any major scratches or areas of missing paint.

r maybe a source for touch up paint for the two shades of gray?

I recently acquired R-4 serial #0005 from an online auction. It's a total mess, looks like it spent the last 30 years stored in a hog barn. Alot of elbow grease and I was able to clean most of the crud off the chassis, but it's still badly stained and pited. All the tube and trimmer labels are gone. I had to replace all the RCA connectors on the back, they were very badly corroded. I sanded and repainted the top cover tonight, that turned out better than I expected.

The good news, the old girl still plays! After a alignment session on the bench, I'm sitting here listening to Radio Australia booming in at 30db over S9!

Anyway, all that's left is fixing the faceplate. It's as bad as the rest of the radio, lots of scratches and some areas of missing paint. I really want to restore this piece of history to look as nice as possible. I would assume that serial number 0005 was the 5th R-4 to come off the Drake assembly line?

Thanks,
Gerald Sharp, KD0GS
Zerobeat Web Page:  http://www.zerobeat.net