Jay,

Does this occur only in CW?

Early TR-7s required a mod to prevent them from waking up in transmit
when turned on in CW mode.  Perhaps that hasn't been done to yours.

The "Pop mod" was done to the 2nd IF/Audio board.  It connected R1112
to the +10R line instead of +10 CW line.  Also added a 1.5 K resistor
in series with CR1119.  I have a dog-eared copy of the "Pop" mod if
anyone wants a scan of it.

Tom, AG9X