----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Ravn" <fas...@privat.dk>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:20 AM
Subject: [Drakelist] T4XB audio

After more than forty years I have finally got what I was dreaming of when I was young: a Drake R4B with a Drake T4XB. The receive audio is second to none, but the tx audio is repeatedly reported to be flat, sharp or tinny. I am using a Turner +3B microphone with the gain control at 2 o'clock.
All comments appreciated.
73 de OZ8CTH, Peter
I agree that the microphone may be the problem. Check to see if the transmitter sounds the same on both sidbands, if not the carrier oscillator needs adjustment to center it. If its off the audio will be tinny on one sideband and bassy on the other.

The filter in the transmitter is rather narrow and has quite sharp skirts so its not high-fidelity, nonetheless it should give balanced sounding audio on voice. If changing mics or adjusting the tuning doesn't do it I would investigate the mic amp.

FWIW, I can hear the difference in microphones on my T4XB, for instance between an Astatic D-104 (no amp) which has a sharply rising mid to high range and a flat mic like an old Electro-Voice 654-A. The amount of difference surprized me because of the narrowness of the pass band.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles